Hi,

I am another Mandrake newbie (obviously or I wouldn't be here I guess!)
and I need some help please.

My modem is evidently a winmodem according to Mandrake, which is
unsupported in Linux. It is Conexant HSF V92 56k PCI . I found a site
which provides linux modem drivers, ran their modem ID utility to
correctly ID my modem, and downloaded the appropriate driver.

Because I am unable to get online from Linux I obviously had to unzip
the driver file to a floppy. Now, can someone please tell me how I get
this driver into Mandrake? :-)

A geek friend gave me the following instructions for accessing the
file on the floppy but it didn't work when I tried it. Maybe I copied
something down incorrectly?

"  When you're in Linux (as root) type 'mkdir /floppy' that will make
an
obvious spot for you to mount floppies to. Insert the floppy into the
drive, type 'mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy' that will tell Linux to
check the floppy drive for a DOS style (fat) floppy and to mount it at
/floppy. Then type cd /floppy and type 'ls'. ls is the same as typing
'dir' under DOS/windows then look for the file that follows the format
of the file you're looking for, if there's just the one file on the
disk then it should be very easy!. The RPM command goes like such 'rpm
i filename' "

The instructions for installing the driver (from the driver site) are
as follows:

"METHOD A: BINARY RPM PACKAGE (*.{arch}.rpm)

If you have obtained the driver package in RPM format:
1. install the rpm with "rpm -i hsfmodem-{version}.{arch}.rpm"

2. if necessary, run "hsfconfig" to complete the installation, enter
   license information, or to change your modem's configuration "

Can someone please check both sets of the above instructions and
confirm for me whether they are correct? This command line stuff is
totally new to me and I am struggling to say the least! If anyone can
think of an easier way for me to do this, feel free to let me know!
:-)

Many thanks in advance!

- --
Best regards,