On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:47:36 +1300
Carren Stuart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for that! I finally got my modem working and have just
> purchased the license key and upgraded to full driver version.
> For some reason though it will not accept my license key ... when I
> do the usr/sbin/hsfconfig --license  command it tells me "file not
> found" (or words to that affect)

Are you in 'root' mode or 'SuperUser' mode when you do the
/usr/sbin/hsfconfig command?  You must be for it to work.  In your
normal User account, you don't have permission to run the file, so
the file is reported as not found.

In a terminal window at the command prompt, type "su" and then enter
the password for the SuperUser or Root account.  Then run hsfconfig.

At this point I also run WvDial and let it run in the foreground.  I
then switch to another desktop workspace to use the web browser and
the email client.  I do it this way because I have a lot of telephone
line noise in my area and the web browser and email client will
sometimes get out of sync with my ISP.  So I go back to the WvDial
terminal session, issue CTRL-C to stop WvDial, and then restart
WvDial.  Then I can return to the desktop with the web browser and
email client and continue from where they stopped.

(This is why I stopped using kppp as the modem dialer program.  There
wasn't as clean a way to get kppp to exit when the web browser and
email client got out of sync with the ISP.  I say out of sync, because
the modem was still connected to the ISP the entire time the problem
occured.)

> I don't suppose you can help me with my sound problem? So far I've
> had one reply to that post which hasn't helped unfortunately ;-)

I missed the question.  I use a SBLive! Value card with the ALSA
drivers.  Make sure you have opened all of your mixers and volume
controls available under your desktop environment and increase the
volume levels.  Most of the mixers and volume controls have turned
down the playback sound to 0 volume.  Many times, just raising those
volume controls will give you sound.

Best,
The Other.