On Tuesday 09 December 2003 01:41 pm, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm almost frustated.
> I tried to add a primary slave hdd into the system, but it
> didn't work. The BIOS failed to recognise the drive. Both
> primary master and slave are maxtors.
>
> I've double checked the jumper setting and I'm sure I did it
> right.
> http://maxtor.com/en/documentation/installation_guides/ata_inst
>allation_guide.pdf
>
> The errors were:
> 1. If I set hdd #1 as master and hdd #2 as slave, BIOS only
> recognise hdd #1 2. If I set both hdd as cable select then only
> hdd #2 is recognised. 3. If I set hdd #1 as slave and hdd #2 as
> slave/cable select ( I know this is wrong), then only hdd #1 is
> recognised (as slave).
>
> This maxtor jumper settings really pissed me off! I don't have
> this kind of trouble if I use maxtor and seagate. Is maxtor and
> maxtor really can't be used together?
>
> Any opinion? Any experiences?

     Absolutely don't use cable select.  Check the jumpers again.
If you're positive they're set correctly, then it could still be
the motherboard, the IDE cable, and position on the cable. It
should always be that master is on the end of the cable.

    Mobo connector--------------slave--------------master

   .... and make sure pin 1 on the cable is alligned with pin 1 on
the drive(s). It's difficult to get it wrong at the mobo end, but
it can often easily be reversed at the drive connection. Maxtor/
Maxtor works just fine, that's my setup.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas