Langsley T Russell wrote:

The update to which I was referring is the "Mandrake Update" in the
Software Management section of Mandrake control Center.

If you have updated your sources then it has been updating all the outstanding packages to bring things up todate with current released packages for the entire OS. That can be big.

I've been getting notices from Mandrake virtually daily informing me of
important updates. Therefore once I got URPMI set up, I think, I thought
the first thing I should do was the update. Perhaps I was mistaken. I
know that a dial up connection isn't ideal,

Well people disagree with me, but I don't like it , though my ISP can cut me off every 20 minutes during busy times, and alow me a couple of hours through the night.

but it's what I've got. My
ISP is a small, local operation and very accommodating. It is nearly
unheard of to get cut off by my ISP even after 10 hours or more of
logged on time.

Ghosh, your not in the UK are you ?

Since posting my first request for help on this issue I've realized that
my main menu is now quite truncated. It has a total of 10 primary
listings or groups of listings. I don't for example have a run command
in the list. Many of the groups also have far fewer listings than
previously. The only thing listed under "Office" is "Address Books" and
"Time management". Networking now only has about four sub groups. There
is no instant messaging for example. More importantly, There is also no
listing for opening a console so doing anything from the command line is
literally impossible as far as I can see. And as I said in my first post
I have no sound. I've tried everything I can think of to get it back but
no success. All of these things combined would appear to indicate that
there are more difficulties than no OO.

It really sounds screwed up to me, I have never known things that bad.
I take it you are updating from M9.1 to latest M9.2 . or M9.2 to latest M9.2.

Do I need to return to Easy URPMI and update the information? If so What
should I select and what should I leave unchecked?

The thing is if you are going to continue with urpmi you must update your sources first before attempting the update itself. So that urpmi knows what to download.

Providing I can find some way to open a console,can I continue to copy information from that site into a console with no ill effect? I guess the answer to that is no seeing as I've already managed to mess things up pretty well.

You should have a run field in kstart menu where you can type something like kwrite to get an editor. or konsole to get a terminal, now if you don't ever have a run field then provided you still have a home directory you can navigate to /usr/bin and left mouse click either kwrite or konsole that will bring them up and with those two features there aint much you cannot do in linux one way or another.

By the way do you have MCC and KDE CC in the kstart menu.

John

/usr/bin/kwrite

--
John Richard Smith