Charlie, you said:

> The next thing you need to do is open a terminal, become super user
> and run the command drakxservices. Be sure sound is set to start at
> boot as well as alsa if
> that's what you're using. Just scroll down the list and find the
> services set to start at boot. If those two aren't in state "running"
> click the relevant
> Start buttons to activate them.

I ran the drakxservices command and found that sound is indeed set to
start at boot. alsa, on the other hand, is not. I tried clicking on
start and got the message "alsa driver not running" I clicked on start
at boot and clicked on the start button again and got the same message.
So I deselected start at boot for alsa and closed the window.

I then ran draksound. The info in the window is as follows,
        Your card currently uses the OSS "es1371" driver (default driver
        for your card is "es1371")

I opened the drakservices window again to look for the settings for OSS.
Of course there is no listing for OSS or "es1371 in the drakxservices
window.

I reopened the draksound window and clicked on troubleshooting. This
simply brought up a window telling me what various commands tell me.
/sbin/lsmod said it would tell me whether or not the driver is loaded so
I typed /sbin/lsmod at the command prompt and waited. Obviously nothing
was happening, so, after a while I closed the sound configuration
window. Once I closed the sound configuration window, the previously
entered /sbin/lsmod produced the following.
        /sbin/lsmod
        Module               Size  Used by    Not tainted
        ppp_deflate          4472   0  (autoclean)
        bsd_comp             5400   0  (autoclean)
        lp                   8160   0
        parport_pc          25544   1
        parport             34472   1  [lp parport_pc]
        mga                 98332  14
        agpgart             48292   3  (autoclean)
        es1371              27788   1
        ac97_codec          15828   0  [es1371]
        soundcore            6340   0  [es1371]
        gameport             3268   0  [es1371]
        ppp_async            9312   1
        ppp_generc          24292   3  [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
        slhc                 6564   0  [ppp_generic]
        af_packet           14856   0  (autoclean)
        sr_mod              19384   0  (autoclean)
        floppy              55932   0
        nls_iso8859-         3484   2  (autoclean)
        nls_cp850            4284   2  (autoclean)
        vfat                11820   2  (autoclean)
        fat                 38040   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
        supermount          84032   3  (autoclean)
        ide-cd              33956   0
        cdrom               32608   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]
        ide-scsi            11376   0
        usb-uhci            25136   0  (unused)
        usbcore             74988   1  [usb-uhci]
        rtc                  9004   0  (autoclean)
        ext3                60048   2
        jbd                 39264   2  [ext3]
        sd_mod              12188   0  (unused)
        aic7xxx            162160   0
        scsi_mod            93344   4  [sr_mod ide-scsi sd_mod aic7xxx]

I wish I could say I understand any of this, but unfortunately, that is
just not the case.

It appeared that other commands listed only offered the information
already contained in the sound configuration window, so I didn't bother
running any of them.

I did click on the help button and found that apparently alsa is a
newer, "more powerful" alternative to OSS. But does that mean I should
be using alsa in spite of the fact that OSS is apparently the default
for my sound card? Or did I misinterpret the information in the sound
configuration window? If alsa is what is needed, how do I start it?

Thanks again for all the help and *patience*!

LTR  }}:{(
[EMAIL PROTECTED]