I remember seeing some posts lately about laptop choices for Mandrake.
Well, I finally found one that works incredibly well.

Asus makes a laptop called a D1 or D1000, and promotes it as a
"desknote" PC, but it's actually a laptop which can also be used as a
PC replacement.

So, yesterday, I finally bit the bullet and bought one. These laptops
are designed in such a way that you decide which CPU, Hard Drive,
quantity of ram you want, and whether or not you want a battery or not.

That might sound like a strange thing to say, but some people might want
to use it solely as a PC replacement, in which case they wouldn't need a
battery.

The other nice thing about the way it's sold is that you can add or
upgrade the parts yourself. The D1 is sort of a "Do-It-Yourself" laptop
which means that upgrades are a snap, and if you don't want to spend a
lot, this is definitely the way to go.

Mandrake 9.2 detected everything, and set them up without so much as a
burp! Essentially, everything is on-board. You still have a PCMCIA slot
for extra devices ( and the drivers for the slot are installed and ready
to go ), but Video, Lan, Modem, USB, CDRW\DVD, USB Wheel mouse ( My
choice ) are all running perfectly.

I haven't tried setting up the touchpad, but I don't like them anyways.
Still, I'll probably give it a shot later today.

Power management is working like a charm ( for a change ! ), even though
it has never worked properly for me in Windows - not even on
conventional PC's !

I ordered my D1 with a P4-2.4 Ghz CPU, 512 Mb DDR Ram, and a 40 Gb
drive. Assembly took less than 30 minutes, and the O/S installed without
a hitch. By assembling it myself, I even saved another $40.00 !

Not including taxes, this laptop cost me $1400.00 Canadian, and so far
it's the best money I've ever spent. Time will tell, but I can't believe
how easy it was.

Check it out folks. It might be what you're looking for in a laptop.

Lanman