Bryan,

Funnily enough, I actually agree with most of what you are saying :-)

What it really comes down to for me though is this. I use my computer
as a home computer only. It is primarily a tool for me to communicate
with the wider world and my friends, who for some unknown reason, all
live on the other side of the World. I also use it as a learning tool
and a toy I guess, in as much as it presents me with new things to try
in order to challenge myself from time to time. Installing Mandrake
was one of those challenges I set myself, and it has not disappointed
me :-)

Internet security is important to me, and I have my Windows system
locked down as tightly as possible. I have a dial up connection, which
is pretty much connected 24 hours a day. I use a respected AV and
Kerio with a very stringently customised set of rules, I do not use
any Microsoft software other than my operating system, plus I make use
of several third party bits and pieces to help me keep my system
locked down as tightly as possible.

Having said that, I am not paranoid about this, and I do realise that
my system is not, and never will be 100% secure. That doesnt bother
me. I have taken all the precautions I can for my own particular
computing situation, and that is enough for me. I have reduced the
risk as much as I possibly can at this point. If I happen to get
caught out by some nasty at some time, it will be bad luck, but it
wont be due to something stupid I did.

As you have already said Linux is an inherently more secure OS than
Windows, and the risks are less, although not absent. I want to be
able to feel secure using Linux but I don't the level of security
someone in business might need. At the moment I dont *feel* secure
because I dont understand how the firewall works, and I can't begin to
configure it the way I want it, until such time as I can understand
it! That's where I am at now. My previous posts about other firewalls
available, were really indicating that I was perhaps looking for
something I could *get* straight away, to use in the meantime, while I
am busy trying to get my head around the built in firewall. As you
said, if I don't have that configured properly while I'm learning it,
I could be leaving myself wide open right now. I have no knowledge of
what the current configuration is (other than what I've set up via
Guarddog) - or even if there is a default configuration. I haven't
even figured out what command I need to use to *see* the darned thing
working! (or view the logs or view the current configuration)

None of what I have posted here on the subject is intended in any way
to be critical of you or of the linux firewall. I am just a newbie
linux user who is trying to learn the basics of setting up her linux
system as securely as she possibly can, so that she can get moving and
start discovering what this OS has to offer her. I set myself a
personal challenge here, and I'm not about to give up just yet.

I'm sorry to say, you'll be seeing more of me here, at least until the
light bulb in my head switches on! :-)

- -- -

Carren