On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:18:06 +1300
Carren Stuart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It looks great but it's really designed for people using a network,
> which I am not doing. I'm just one lonely little mother of four, who
> happens to be addicted to her computer, and likes to find interesting
> things to do, to give her brain some much needed exercise ;-)

Not to push the point tooooo hard (me? Shirley not!) but if yer gonna spend
money on *anything* (including one o' them Linksys thingies), a seperate box is
actually probably the cheapest/best of all sol'ns. Even Lyvim and I would agree
on that. And as it says on the Smoothwall site, it is intended for *anyone* who
is interested in security, from the single inexperienced user up to the SOHO
type operation.

As everyone has pointed out, running the firewall software on your workstation
just isn't as effective, though it is of course better than nothing at all, and
infinitely better than anything on Windows. Besides, a seperate firewall
box frees you up to play with your Mandrake Linux workstation at will, hacking
and mangling as you wish, while the firewall runs happily on it's own seperate
(cheap) box.

Anyway, the choice is yours, but if you really wanna play, pickin' up some el
cheapo used PC (not a Compaq, whatever you do!) would, IMO, fit all the
requirements and desires ;-)

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046