The problem I am having is that from my linux box I can access an xp box but not one on w2k or w98se. I have narrowed the problem to the linux box because I installed 9.2 on the w98 box and it can access all the machines and when it is running linux my main linux box can access it.

Derek suggested I add wins support=yes This did not help. I also found a copy of part of his config program and added any lines that were missing from mine that I thought might be relevant. Again this did not work. When I run smbclient I get the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] pwp]$ smbclient //jp/c2
added interface ip=192.168.0.11 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to JP failed (Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds)

I have run through an old troubleshooting list that I think was updated by Anne Wilson and every thing seems to be ok. I did get the following response which seems strange.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] samba]# nmblookup -B 192.168.0.255 *
querying auth.hp.p3 on 192.168.0.255
name_query failed to find name auth.hp.p3
querying auth.sam.samantha on 192.168.0.255
name_query failed to find name auth.sam.samantha
querying auth.shop.pwp on 192.168.0.255

I seems to be looking for ip addresses for the files in my current directory. Is this normal? An nmblookup for the machines I cannot access returns their proper IP's so I do not think nmb is the problem.

What other info can I supply to shed additional light on this?

Thanks,

Pat