Derek Jennings wrote:

On Tuesday 16 Dec 2003 4:24 pm, Trey Sizemore wrote:

Computer was working like a champ a few days ago.  Tried to start back
up yesterday and saw one of the messages during boot up say something to
the effect of (sorry not in front of the machine now):

No room on / [0] expecting [20000]

I haven't done anything new to the setup or installed/upgraded anything
new.

Something I thought was weird (and I'm sure it's just my understanding),
but when I did an 'ls -al' on my /home directory, I remembered that I
still have a couple of  .iso images taking up some space (this is a 25GB
drive).  So just out of curiosity I deleted them freeing up a couple of
gigs.  But when I restarted the machine I got the same message about
root (/) being full then taking me to the CLI login after some failed
attempts to start X.

Just looking for some next steps and ultimately finding out why this
happened.

Thanks.

If those iso images were on a different partition that could explain why deleting them did not help.

There could be a few things using up your / partition.
You may have some core dumps. Look in /root, / , or /home for any file beginning with 'core' They may be safely deleted.

It could also be your logs have reached a vast size. Look in /var/log for huge log files. To stop your log files becoming huge install the anacron package. It will make the 'logrotate' job run daily to compress and delete old logs.

derek

It says that root (/) is full, and the iso images were in /home/trey so doesn't that count against root or am I having a conceptual error here. When I get back I'll try to isolate where the space hogs are using df and du again. I think it was the du command that showed file sizes but if there was a directory I would no see the sizes of files within the directory.

It may be log files and I'll check into that as well.

Thanks.