Boot from the MDK installation disk (CD1) and, at the splash screen hit F1, then at the prompt type rescue. This will boot the system from the cdrom and present you with a menu. Select "mount partitions on /mnt", then "go to console". From the console, cd to /mnt/etc and edit fstab to remove the whole line containing /dev/hdb1. Save the file and reboot (without the cdrom).

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I had Mandrake 9.2 running fine with two disks. (hda) has the root
filesystem, (hdb) had only one directory I used for Samba. Both were ext3
fs. I suspected problems with hdb, but WDDiag test results were ok, so I
wiped the hdb disk with zeros anyway using the Western Digital utilities.

Now I can't boot into Mandrake 9.2 with or without hdb connected. Not
sure how to make Mandrake forget about the hdb disk. I get an error
"Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/hdb1. The superblock could
not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem...."

I know the root disk is good (hda). I had hoped Linux would boot and
allow me to re-configure hdb. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks.