I have been trying to get samba fully functional for a couple of months now and it has been driving me crazy. My internet connection worked. The Samba server worked but for some unknown reason that I researched thoroughly, only some of the machines on my network could be reached from the linux box.

Finally just for the heck of it I disabled the onboard nic (ASUS a7v600-3COM 3C940 )and put in another.
I was so proud of the on board nic because it was my first attempt at installing something that was not in RPM form. Oh well. Anyhow, this is a great board for linux but the Asus supplied 3com2000 driver is either partially bad or I did not install it right.

Thought I would just add this to the record for future reference for others.