Hi The Other,

On Sunday, December 21, 2003, at 6:25:55 AM PST, you wrote:

> Has anyone familiar with The Bat! looked into M2 and Opera 7.23?

I'm in Windows at the moment, but I don't suppose the Opera package
would look and behave much differently under Linux. Next time I'm in
Mandrake, I'll install Opera and have a look anyway. I haven't looked
at Opera since I got my new computer, so after reading your message, I
installed it, set up an account in M2, and had a look around. Frankly,
I'm not impressed...not even a wee bit. :-)

I've never seen a browser/email/news combination that I felt had a
decent email client (or news reader). For that matter, I've never seen
an email client/news reader combination that I felt did both equally
well (or at least as well as I would like). The closest I've seen to a
half-way decent browser connected email client is Mozilla (and even
there, I would prefer the stand alone Mozilla/Thunderbird email client
with the Enigmail GnuPG integration). Still though, even
Moz/Thunderbird/Enigmail doesn't impress me when I compare it to The
Bat! (no surprise there, as I haven't seen *any* email client that
really impresses me when I compare to TB!).

Even looking into the additional options in the M2 .ini file, I didn't
see nearly the range of options available in most "real" email clients
(my use of the term "real" is of course subjective, but so be it).
Even having to manually edit the .ini file for some very basic email
options is really clumsy.

If you don't deal with much email, and all you want is the ability to
send and receive email, and have a very basic address book, I suppose
just about anything that calls itself an "email client" will
do...including M2 (I suppose even AOL can do that much! :-)). If you
want much greater functionality in terms of just about every aspect of
email presentation, management, and composition, I would suggest
looking elsewhere. Again, these are just my subjective opinions, so
take them for what they're worth to you. :-)

If you're working in Linux, I do feel that the available stand alone
email clients (including Moz/Thunderbird) are all better than Opera's
M2. I haven't had much of a chance to work on my Mandrake installation
these past few days, and probably can't get back to it for another
week or so, but when I do, I'm going to see if I can get The Bat!
working through Wine.

- --
Melissa

PGP public keys:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&Body=Please%20send%20keys