On Friday 26 December 2003 07:39 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 26 December 2003 12:13, Josh wrote:
> > There is an update that addresses this exact problem.  I can't
> > remember the exact update right now, but its rpm-something.  You
> > can't miss it.
> >
> > Josh
>
> IOW, try MandrakeUpdate
>
> Anne

This is the update advisory that addresses this. I haven't had any problems
since.
Mandrake Linux Update Advisory

  Package name:           rpm
  Advisory ID:            MDKA-2003:030-1
  Date:                   December 4th, 2003
  Original Advisory Date: November 18th, 2003
  Affected versions:     9.2

  Problem Description:

  A bug was found in the way that rpm locks it's database in that it
  prevents update-menus from running properly and can cause the loss of
  KDE, GNOME, and other WM menus.

  This package provides a better locking mechanism that should prevent
  this improper behaviour.

Update:

  The previous package did not properly clean up the lock file when
  issuing a --rebuilddb.  This has been corrected by these packages
Mandrake Linux 9.2:
 popt-1.8-22.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
 popt-devel-1.8-22.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
 rpm-4.2-22.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
 rpm-build-4.2-22.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
 rpm-devel-4.2-22.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
 rpm-python-4.2-22.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
 rpm-4.2-22.1.92mdk.src.rpm

HTH
- --

RickS
Linux user #338463
Why does Microsoft keep asking me "Where do you want to go today?"
But Linux is the one that always takes me there 8]