On Wednesday 31 December 2003 10:25 pm, E. Hines wrote:

-> Yes, but, if the server can't read the timestamp correctly, it defaults to
-> January 1, 1970.  This happened to my mail sent to a friend's
 misconfigured -> UNIX box.  The time stamp on all my mails was midnight,
 January 1, 1970 (unix -> rollover time), MINUS the time zone from GMT.
 Hence, all my mails were -> stamped with an 3:59PM, Wednesday, December 31,
 1969.  GMT minus my time zone -> - Pacific time is 8 hours BEHIND GMT (or
 his, we are in the same time zone). -> I'm the only one sending e-mail to
 him from a unix-like system, and mine was -> the only one timestamped that
 way.   I don't know what he did, but he finally -> got it fixed on his end.
 So, is the time and date GMT minus the time zone -> you live in?
->
-> I hope you find this little bit of trivia interesting and maybe even
 helpful. ->
-> e.

That is interesting and explains why it was so close to the original unix
epoch startup time.

AFAICT, my system has its correct time. I'm set to the eastern US coast
(Prestonsburg, KY to be exact).

It appears that *my* e-mails are timestamped correctly as well as any files I
create.

Thanks for the info!

--

                                                                       /\