On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:30:37 +0000
Graham Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Been having a bit of trouble getting video programs to work. I've tried
> Totem, Mplayer and Xine under 9.2 and can't get a result with any of
> them.  They either freeze or crash. Mplayer even caused my whole system
> to freeze, requiring a hard reboot (how often does that happen?).

I was initially having a lot of probs with lockups, esp to do with video, when I
first installed 9.2.

I have since made the following mods to my /etc/lilo.conf

noapic acpi=off

in the 'append' line and have had a much better time of it. I just finished a 24
hour conversion of a divx vid to SVCD, CPU at full blast the whole time, no
segfaults, no lockups. I know, anecdotal, coincidental perhaps, but the system
*seems* to be performing as it should now.

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046