JoeHill wrote:
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:30:37 +0000

I was initially having a lot of probs with lockups, esp to do with video, when I
first installed 9.2.

I have since made the following mods to my /etc/lilo.conf

noapic acpi=off

in the 'append' line and have had a much better time of it. I just finished a 24
hour conversion of a divx vid to SVCD, CPU at full blast the whole time, no
segfaults, no lockups. I know, anecdotal, coincidental perhaps, but the system
*seems* to be performing as it should now.

Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn't seem to do the business for me. Mplayer still crashes the entire system - I've rebooted more often today than I usually do in 6 months. Plus KDE started throwing fits so I got nervous and restored acpi=ht. At least that seems to have settled down now.

--
Graham Watkins

On the whole, I preferred cats to women because cats seldom if ever used the word "relationship".(Kinky Friedman - Greenwich Killing Time)

Registered Linux user number 265254 http://counter.li.org