On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 09:17, Merlin Zener wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 19:57, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > [...snip]
> > 8139 suggests a Realtek, which are usually OK.  Do you use dhcp or
> > static IP?
> >

> I've got no idea.
> When both machines are running windoze it *just works*. I've never
> entered a specific IP address to connect to the net [via modem] so I'm
> assuming the ISP assigns one to me. I didn't think I needed an IP
> address to get my local network running - I thought that was only to
> connect to outside web pages etc?
>
> How would I find out what Linux *thinks* it's using?
>
> TIA

Hi Merlin:

First of all, let's find out whether Mandrake is loading your NIC
driver. For this, enter the command:
        lsmod | grep 8139too

Next, let's see what your NIC setup is. Enter the command:
        cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Please, post in a message the outputs of these two commands, no matter
what they are.

Anne, Since in Windows the IP are 169.254.something I assume it is using
ZEROCONF to setup the lan connection.

Adolfo