My sshd_config file did not have any
DenyUsers/AllowUsers line but it did have this little
sucker:

PermitRootLogin no

:-) That did the trick. Thanks for drawing my
attention to this file.

Your observation about the dangers of allowing root to
log in is good. I'm just running Linux on a partition
on my home PC for graduate school work, this is not a
commercial system. There is nothing valuable on my
machine so there won't be any losses if there is a
break-in and the root password is not a common
dictionary word, so brute force might take a while. I
just need root access for convenience for now.

Thank you for your time!

--- Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2004 08:46 pm, George P.
> Stathis wrote:
> > Hello, I'm new to Linux and I'm running Mandrake
> 9.2.
> > I have just installed the sshd server that came
> with
> > the installation disks.
> >
> > My sshd service is running fine but I'm unable to
> > login to localhost with the root password. I get:
>
> You might want to check your sshd server settings.
> In the /etc/ssh directory
> should be a sshd_config file that has your ssh
> server configuration settings.
> On mine in particular are lines:
> DenyUsers root ftp .....
> AllowUsers blah,blah....
>
> These specify that only particular users are allowed
> to login via ssh and
> specific users are disallowed from logging in via
> ssh, including root.  It is
> a VERY bad idea to allow root to login via ssh since
> that account is well
> known by all and sundry and someone can effectively
> use that account to try
> to dictionary attack your machine to get access.
>
> At least with a user login, the person must
> guess/know the username and then
> try to brute force the password.  Just another layer
> of protection and no
> reason to allow root direct login, you can login as
> a user and su to root to
> issue commands.
> --
> Bryan Phinney