Hello, I'm new to Linux and I'm running Mandrake 9.2.
I have just installed the sshd server that came with
the installation disks.

My sshd service is running fine but I'm unable to
login to localhost with the root password. I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# ssh localhost
[EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
Permission denied, please try again.

I've looked for the answer all over and there seems to
be other people having similar problems with other
Linux distributions. Solutions vary with tweaking the
/etc/pam.d/sshd file, but I've tried them all and I
still can't get this to work. Out of the box, my
/etc/pam.d/sshd file looks like this:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
service=system-auth

I should also mention that I can't find any
/etc/pam.config file.

If anyone has encountered this or can point me to a
location that explains how to get sshd working with
PAM, I would appreciate it. The pam man page hasn't
been too enlightening.

Thank you in advance for your time.