On Tuesday 06 Jan 2004 1:46 am, George P. Stathis wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to Linux and I'm running Mandrake 9.2.
> I have just installed the sshd server that came with
> the installation disks.
>
> My sshd service is running fine but I'm unable to
> login to localhost with the root password. I get:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# ssh localhost
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:
> Permission denied, please try again.
>
> I've looked for the answer all over and there seems to
> be other people having similar problems with other
> Linux distributions. Solutions vary with tweaking the
> /etc/pam.d/sshd file, but I've tried them all and I
> still can't get this to work. Out of the box, my
> /etc/pam.d/sshd file looks like this:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
> service=system-auth
> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
> account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
> service=system-auth
> password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
> service=system-auth
> session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so
> service=system-auth
>
> I should also mention that I can't find any
> /etc/pam.config file.
>
> If anyone has encountered this or can point me to a
> location that explains how to get sshd working with
> PAM, I would appreciate it. The pam man page hasn't
> been too enlightening.
>
> Thank you in advance for your time.

SSH should work "out of the box"
There is no need to touch anything to do with PAM

There are two ways of running ssh, as  an sshd daemon, or called on demand by
ssh-xinetd  You can select how it is run in Mandrake Control
Centre>System>Services

If it is run by xininitd then it will check with /etc/hosts/allow and
/etc/hosts/deny before allowing access.

I always run ssh as an sshd daemon and do not have the slightest trouble with
it. The sshd daemon will use the config file /etc/ssh/ssh/sshd_config

So long as that file contains
PasswordAuthentication yes
You should be able to log in with your root password. (That is the default)

A good way to faultfind ssh is to run in debug mode.
service sshd stop   (to stop the daemon)
sshd -e -d2   (to run in debug mode)
messages will now be output to the terminal during the login.

HTH

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net