Doug Roberts wrote:

>> What does 'lsmod | grep sound' say? (As root)
>
> Output is:
> sound            70644    1    [opl3 sd_lib uart401]
> soundcore     6276    0    [sd_lib sound]
>
> as for KMixer, I can't find it. It is not listed in the usual places I can
> see...

Sorry, I meant KMix. K|Multimedia|Sound|KMix

Aumix is ok too.

I find it odd that you have soundmodules loaded, when no soundcard is found.
Are there any entries for sound in /etc/modules.conf?
Are there any soundcard-like listings when you issue 'lspci' (as root)
Is there a sound entry in 'cat /proc/devices'
Do you have a /dev/sound directory ?
Did you install the updates for 9.1? There are loads of them

Many questions, but since you get sound from CD's, I still think
your mixer has muted pcm.

/Björn