> Doug Roberts wrote:
 > >> What does 'lsmod | grep sound' say? (As root)
 > >
 > > Output is:
 > > sound            70644    1    [opl3 sd_lib uart401]
 > > soundcore     6276    0    [sd_lib sound]
 > >
 > > as for KMixer, I can't find it. It is not listed in the usual places I
 can see...

 > Sorry, I meant KMix. K|Multimedia|Sound|KMix

No problem..I found that easy enough...it still gives no sound, but looks to
be playing any .wav file I give it.

 > Aumix is ok too.
 >
 > I find it odd that you have soundmodules loaded, when no soundcard is
 >
> found.

 > Are there any entries for sound in /etc/modules.conf?
Copied from my /etc/modules.conf

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0

 > Are there any soundcard-like listings when you issue 'lspci' (as root)

 None

 > Is there a sound entry in 'cat /proc/devices'
# cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty/m%d
  3 pty/s%d
  4 tts/%d
  5 cua/%d
  6 lp
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 13 input
 14 sound
 29 fb
108 ppp
128 ptm
136 pts/%d
162 raw
180 usb
254 pcmcia

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  2 fd
  3 ide0
  9 md
 22 ide1

 > Do you have a /dev/sound directory ?

Yes

 > Did you install the updates for 9.1? There are loads of them

I used both Mandrake Control Center and urpmi to update this machine each
week, or when MDK issues an update email.

 > Many questions, but since you get sound from CD's, I still think
 > your mixer has muted pcm.

Could be...so where does one fined and fix the ' muted pcm' problem, if that
is the problem?

Thanks for yourhelp Bjorn.
--
Doug Roberts