----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry Barton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Internet Via Comcast

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:25:55 -0800
> "John S. Chalice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hey there everybody..
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help with this.  I searched the archive, but
> > couldn't quite find the answer to my query... but if anyone can help
> > me by merely pointing out the right entry, please feel free.
> >
> > I just as of last night put Mandrake 9.2 onto my computer, and am
> > having a hard time getting internet to work.  Like many people out
> > there, I am connected to Comcast internet via a cable modem into a
> > motherboard with onboard ethernet.  This is, luckily, not my only OS
> > on this system, but.. I would like to get it working. :)  My internet
> > works just fine with Windows XP, but I am uncertain as to how to make
> > it work with Mandrake.  I know it has something to do with DHCP, but I
> > am still quite illiterate when it comes to linux, and am uncertain as
> > to what settings and information I need to put in for it to work.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this?  Again.. thanks in advance.
> >
> > -- John/crys

> Steps I took for drakconnect for my comcast cable modem:
> 1: Drakconnect wizard: Use Auto Detection checked, Expert mode checked.
> click Next
> 2: select "Cable Connection" click Next
> 3: Which dhcp client do you want to use?  select dhcp-client click next
> 4: Brings up which device was detected.  it had my card so i chose "no"
> and click next.
(asks this twice, chose no both times)
> 5:  if it asks which you want to configure choose eth0 click next
(doesn't ask)
> 6:  check Automatic IP.  Uncheck "assign hostname from dhcp address"
> Check "Start at boot"
> 7:  click next
>  8:  hostname: whatever you call your computer
(put in "TheLightHouse")
> 9:  DNS server (put in IP of your dns server.  mine on comcast is
> 216.148.227.68 you may get that one to work) Gateway device = eth0
> leave zeroconf name and gateway address blank.  Click next
(no place for gateway device)
> 10:  if you use a proxy fill in and click next
(don't personally use a proxy)
> 11:  do you want to apply settings?  yes.  Click Next
> 12:  Network needs to be restarted.  Yes.  Click Next
> 13:  click finish.

> Hope that helps.

Did all that I could following these directions.  Unfortunately, I'm still
stuck.  The ethernet card won't come up, and internet isn't connected.

I looked at 'Configure Local Area Network' and the field next to DHCP client
was blank.  I tried putting in 'dhcp-client', but it still wouldn't boot up
the ethernet card.  Tried putting in the gateway, still won't work.

I then tried looking at 'Configure Local Area Network' again, and once again
the DHCP client field is vacant.

Thanks for trying.  Any other ideas?  Anyone..? Anyone..?
Buehler? ;)

-- John