On Tuesday 13 January 2004 09:02 am, robin wrote:
> Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > On Monday 12 January 2004 11:36 pm, vikrant joshi wrote:
> >>I have Windows and Linux on same machine . Is there a way I can acces the
> >>windows files eg word or excel file through Linux. Do we need to install
> >>any software for that . If yes then where do we get that software from
> >
> > You need to specify the version.  Office XP files use a proprietary
> > format that still hasn't been reverse engineered by OS developers, I
> > think.  Any previous version of Office should be trivial for OpenOffice,
> > KOffice, as well as a number of other replacements.
>
> AFAIK, OpenOffice will read Word XP files.

My info may be dated.  I am still on version 1.02 of Open Office and the last
time I did some research, there were still some compatibility problems with
some XP file formats.  Version 1.1 is supposed to be fully compatible
according to the website, but I am not running that version.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer