On Wednesday 14 January 2004 07:28 pm, jason pearl wrote:

> So did you have to pay extra to(im assuming homelinux is dyndns.org) get
> them to reroute mail? I would rather have my own mail server then to use
> cox cable.  thanks

Depends on how much you want to depend on it.  I don't pay extra and mail that
is bound for my dynamic domain name gets sent to my current IP address where
my router sends it on to the mail server which is configured to accept mail
for my dynamic domain name.  If the mail bound for my mail server is not for
a real local user, the connection gets rejected and dropped and I get a
notification that someone tried to relay mail through my server.

However, as someone on the expert list pointed out earlier, there is some risk
involved in running a mail server off of a dynamic IP address.  If someone
else that is running a mail server inherits your IP address before the
dynamic DNS service gets the new IP and they happen to be running an SMTP
server that is configured to accept mail for all domains regardless of where
it is bound or who the message is to, they will intercept your mail.

I don't worry about that because the only people using my domain are family
members and all of our mail is PGP encrypted.  Even if you intercepted some
of the messages, you couldn't decrypt them so they would be useless to you.
However, it is something to consider.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer