Angus Auld wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:03:20 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] CDRW install, need help w/fstab

My K3b system device entry looks like this:

"/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/cd (0, 0, 0)

I only have one cd device, which is my burner, so would that account for the difference?

No , It's just that you do not have your writer as a device, mounted, the /mnt/cdrom section is there for that . The rest adds various controls to the device, like fonts and access, but I cannot remember what the 0 0 on the end does.I should know but cannot recall.

I guess that k3b does not actually have to access the device through the external system mount command, but can aecess it as a device using it's own built in mount command, I don't really know though. Pure guess. The k3b programme setup wizard added mine like it is , so I'm guessing quite a bit. I tend to use xcdroast for most gui writing, and cdrecord on the command line, but recently I added k3b , and found to my joy if can packet write, something I have never been able to do before. So that's a one up for k3b. I find that very usefull when wanting to add bits and pieces of software programmes to a CD for safe keeping, it doesn't insist on fixing the entire disc, thus leaving space for aditions.

John

k3b wizard added my entry like it is too. Maybe a difference in our setup requirements because of hardware/software??

I simple don't know.

Something I have noticed that I would like to enquire about is the fact that under windows, my cdrw drive seems to be spinning a lot faster while operating. What could account for that? I have noticed this even when playing a music cd. The drive is a lot "louder". Under Mdk it seems to be running quieter/slower. Seems like it is working OK under both however.

I think this is a good sign, it means the device is reading data well, without having to accellerate the spin speed to do so.

I like k3b too, but haven't tried anything else yet for Mdk. Nero is pretty simple to use under windows.

You ought to do a man cdrecord in a terminal, and see if you can begin to understand the command line. After all these gui apps are merely a gui front ends to cdrecord to save you the effort of bothering to learn the command line. I personally like to know both. I like both. I see nothing wrong with gui apps, but I also like to know how things work. So I generally make an effort to learn both. If you ever want help with the command line , you only have to ask here and plenty of us will help you.

For gui front ends I prefer xcdroast, I like it's eligant logical layout for a start. Basically you find everything you want to write a disc in apps withing it by selecting from botton boxes down the lefthand side of the main window, just follow procedures . Within each step of the way you have many choices to make, but defaults get you started. Before you can use xcdroast you must enter setup and get everything entered correctly, but once done, save and return to main window. You may need to install xcdroast, it's on your installation discs if you need to find it. Also, I have found Thomas Neiderwriter the author quite helpful in running down problems, particularly hardware issues.

There is also Gcombust. I have never had a lot to do with it.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]