----- Original Message -----
From: John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:33:45 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] CDRW install, need help w/fstab

> You ought to do a man cdrecord in a terminal, and see if you can begin
> to understand the command line. After all these gui apps are merely a
> gui front ends to cdrecord to save you the effort of bothering to learn
> the command line. I personally like to know both. I like both. I see
> nothing wrong with gui apps, but I also like to know how things work. So
> I generally make an effort to learn both. If you ever want help with the
> command line , you only have to ask here and plenty of us will help you.
>
> For gui front ends I prefer xcdroast, I like it's eligant logical layout
> for a start. Basically you find everything you want to write a disc in
> apps withing it by selecting from botton boxes down the lefthand side of
> the main window, just follow procedures . Within each step of the way
> you have many choices to make, but defaults get you started. Before you
> can use xcdroast you must enter setup and get everything entered
> correctly, but once done, save and return to main window. You may need
> to install xcdroast, it's on your installation discs if you need to find
> it. Also, I have found Thomas Neiderwriter the author quite helpful in
> running down problems, particularly hardware issues.
>
> There is also Gcombust. I have never had a lot to do with it.
>
> John
Yes John, I think I may be up to the challenge of attempting to
gain an understanding of the CL method after a bit.

I really don't have much experience of cd recording by
any means, so, I'm not hard and fast on any method. I
have used gui's a bit though. I really like Linux, and
the opportunities it provides for those of different style
and ability to use CL or gui, or, both.
Lots of helpful folks like yourself on this list make
learning a relatively painless endeavor. ;-)
Thanks.

Best regards.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around
in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Linux Powered by Mandrake 9.1~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~