Thanks for your help.

>I need help with installing packages. After I installed Mandrake 9.2 I >cannot install software. When I open the installation tool, I can
>select the packages. Yet when I hit the install button the program
>opens a progress bar. After a while I am prompted to put the CD into
>dev/hdb. When I put the CD into the drive it does not recognize it, but
>prompts me again after a while.

>I have two cd drives installed. The first one is recognised by the
>software as CDROM, the second as CDROM2. I cannot open the first one.
>After a previous dual boot installation it does not react any longer.
>So I only used the second one to set up the system.

what does your /etc/fstab file say it is?
i had that problem before and i rechecked my cdrom mount points in MCC
and then rebooted and it changed from /dev/hdc   to /dev/scd0 and i was
able to read my cdrom

Sorry for my stupid question, but what is MCC? I think MDK wants to have the cd in the drive I have no access to. Here is my fstab. Many thanks for having a look at it.

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1 none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0 /dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2 none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0 none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0 none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,sync,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0 /dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0 /dev/hdc5 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0 /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Best, --Bernhard