On Monday 19 January 2004 09:41 am, B. L. Krieger wrote:
> Well, the problem is that MDK recognises hdb as my cdrom, which
> is right. For some reason, depite of this recognition I cannot
> open the drive since I had Mandrake installed at the first time
> as a dual boot with win 2k. After reformatting the harddrive
> and reinstalling MDK from the cd burner, which went perfectly
> easy, I am always promted to put in the installation cds into
> hdb, which is the non-reacting cdrom, whenever I want to
> install software. The lights of the cdrom do work, so I think
> there cannot be a mechanical problem. I simply cannot open it
> any longer. When I put in the installation cds into the burnger
> MCC does not accept this. Is there a possibility to
> 'deactivate' this stupid cdrom or to change the settings so
> that I can install from the burner ? Thanks for your patience,
> --Bernhard

    I assume hda is your HDD?  hdb for your CDrom is a bad
location.  That's slave to your HDD, not a good mix. IMO, your
Cdrom should be hdc (master on the 2nd IDE channel), with your
burner as hdd (slave).

   As to door won't open. Boot somethin else. If you don't have
another OS, install memtest86 (urpmi memtest86, or d/l the rpm
and install it by hand'). Boot memtest, will your CDrom tray
open? If not, it probly is a hardware problem. I recently had to
replace an old Cdrom for just that reason.

     I always install from my burner (hdd). CD-RW's are better
readers than any CDrom. But, Mandrake insists on lookin to my
DVDrom for CD's. NBD, first thing I usually do is remove them as
sources anyhow. If you want to add your CDrom as source, then
follow the usuall CL advice given many times on this list (check
the archive). I don't know it, I always get rid of CDrom sources.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas