Guy Rouillier wrote:

I changed the message line in lilo.conf to

message=/boot/message.txt

and created the referenced file with the single line:

Tab or ? to list, <enter> to boot default

If you pull up the supplied /boot/message file, you'll see all kinds of
ANSI sequences, which is where the GUI boot screen is coming from.

Guy, I don't think this does what I want.
In my /boot/message.txt, it says
Welcome to LILO the operating system chooser!

Choose an operating system from the list above or
wait 10 seconds for default boot.

and so if I add,

Tab,
M9.1
M9.0
W2000
to list, <enter>   ( or something similar)

This merely changes the splash screen entries, me thinks ?

I've nothing against the gui splash screen it's the way the GUI BOOT script gets created anytime you mess with the append=line in lilo.conf. I,m just nift that anytime you just happen to remove nosplash from the append=line, you cannot get the text boot back again simply by reinserting nosplash, instead you have to go all round the mulbery bush by remaking your /boot/initrd boot image with the mkinitrd command. It really ought to be something simpler and more logical, and it would help if the append line switch were something much easier to remember like guiboot and txtboot.I mean it's nothing to do with the splash screen as such, but the manner of the boot script, text, or flashy gui ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]