On Saturday 24 January 2004 07:01 pm, Linux wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:21:24 +1300

> some snippage...
>

> I've cranked up every setting in sight.  I think I'm going to have to
> accept that this modem doesn't like Linux and either live with it or get
> a new modem.
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> Adrian

Maybe you should try changing some settings in the modem string.
Pick one that will slow your connection speed, and use it as a test.  I have a
string ATW2&F+MS=V34B,1,0,33600, which uses the V34 protocol at 33600, even
though I have a 56K V90 modem.   Without this particular set I get sighup
every time with one of my modems.  I didn't notice a problem with it back
when I used Windows.  Do a google search for "modem string" to see what some
of your options may be.