I have done alot of research on google. This problem
seems to be pretty widespread. I started with Knoppix
3.2 and purchased an External Creative Modem Blaster
(I believe model 5621) because I could not get a
winmodem to work. With Knoppix 3.2 Creative Modem
worked. I installed Knoppix 3.2 to the harddrive and
it still worked. Then I decided to try Mandrake 9.2.
Thats when I started getting this error. I have since
gotten a copy of Knoppix 3.3 and it is having the same
trouble. I sent an email to the address provided on
the error page and this is what he wrote back:

I'd like to help but I don't know what to make out of
this error:

>16    The link was terminated by the modem hanging
up.

If you ever find out, please tell me.
--------
So apparently they don't know what the problem is
either. Sigh, Maybe time will produce a solution. I am
 thinking about trying a diffrent modem. I am curious
what brand and model modem the mandrake 9.2 dial-up
users in this group use. I want to make sure I dont
end up having the same problem with a new modem.
Thanks and Best Regards
Bill

--- Erylon Hines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Saturday 24 January 2004 07:01 pm, Linux wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:21:24 +1300
>
> > some snippage...
> >

> > I've cranked up every setting in sight.  I think
> I'm going to have to
> > accept that this modem doesn't like Linux and
> either live with it or get
> > a new modem.
> >
> > Thanks for the comments.
> >
> > Adrian
>
> Maybe you should try changing some settings in the
> modem string.
> Pick one that will slow your connection speed, and
> use it as a test.  I have a
> string ATW2&F+MS=V34B,1,0,33600, which uses the V34
> protocol at 33600, even
> though I have a 56K V90 modem.   Without this
> particular set I get sighup
> every time with one of my modems.  I didn't notice a
> problem with it back
> when I used Windows.  Do a google search for "modem
> string" to see what some
> of your options may be.
>

> > Want to buy your Pack or Services from
MandrakeSoft?