Bryan Phinney wrote:
On Monday 26 January 2004 09:58 am, JoeHill wrote:

Quote:

"Almost no CD writer available in the market is compatible with Linux/Unix.
The only recommended operating systems for using CD writers are Windows
95/98/2000/XP and NT. The recording programs do not support most of the
other operating systems. In other words: under Linux/Unix etc. CD writers
will work like a normal CD-ROM drive."

The correct text should probably read: "Almost no manufacturer in the market supports CD Writers as being compatible with Linux/Unix....blah blah." Then it would be technically correct since I don't know of any manufacturer that supports their CD/DVD Writing products under Linux/Unix either. Then again, they don't support them as normal CD-ROM Drives either.

Ironically, the only manufacturer I know that put "Linux compatible" on the box was LG. Oops.

A better way of phrasing Sansung's statement would be "Almost all CD writers available in the market are compatible with Linux/Unix, but we prefer to let the guys in the Linux kernel development team do the hard work."

So Samsung joins LG on my hardware blacklist. Lucky I just bought a Philips CD writer. I hear it's a PITA under Windows, but it works fine (if a little noisily) on Mdk 9.2.

Sir Robin

--
" Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."
- Winston Churchill

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi