On Monday 26 January 2004 05:05 pm, robin wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >      The only item I have that is Samsung is a 19" LCD
> > monitor. It claims Linux compatiblity.  The manual that came
> > with it has very verbose instructions for Xfree86 config.
> > None were needed. I re- enabled Harddrake, shut down, swapped
> > monitors and Hardrake set the new Samsung up.
>
> So why does a company that advertises Linux support for one of
> its products give out a stupid press release like this?  Linux
> users are very partisan.  Advertise your product as
> Linux-compatible and, better still, provide drivers, and Linux
> users will give you priority over your competitors.
>
> Sir Robin

   Most Linux users (rightfully so) condemn M$ for arm twisting
ready made vendors to only ship M$ OS's with their systems.
That's the 2nd reason. By far the 1st is that large ready made
(Dell, et al) vendors want to ship only Windoze, because they can
get away with substandard, even bastard (OEM ONLY SPEC'd), and
fake win-hardware. Plus it narrows their support field, which can
be a sizeable cost. Also allows them to procure in much larger
quanities, and save on volume.  What works with Windoze is often
of such inferior quality, it won't with a real OS.

   Much the same is true for peripheal hardware vendors. It was a
very stupid press release tho. Even bigtime vendors like Intel,
are very quiet about the OEM ONLY motherboards they supply to
large ready made vendors substandard SPEC's and lack of Industry
Standards compliance. EG, the recent flap over LG.

    Dr. Tom (http://www.tomshardware.com/) and other major
hardware Websites expoused these same views (I gained as an
overclocker) several years ago. Till M$, Dell, et al made 'em
shut up.  Maybe Billy Goates arm twisted Samsung?
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas