On Monday 26 January 2004 03:54 pm, robin wrote:

> Ironically, the only manufacturer I know that put "Linux
> compatible" on the box was LG.  Oops.
>
> A better way of phrasing Sansung's statement would be "Almost
> all CD writers available in the market are compatible with
> Linux/Unix, but we prefer to let the guys in the Linux kernel
> development team do the hard work."
>
> So Samsung joins LG on my hardware blacklist.  Lucky I just
> bought a Philips CD writer.  I hear it's a PITA under Windows,
> but it works fine (if a little noisily) on Mdk 9.2.
>
> Sir Robin

     The only item I have that is Samsung is a 19" LCD monitor. It
claims Linux compatiblity.  The manual that came with it has very
verbose instructions for Xfree86 config. None were needed. I re-
enabled Harddrake, shut down, swapped monitors and Hardrake set
the new Samsung up.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas