On Tuesday 27 January 2004 04:00 pm, Terence Golightly wrote:

> Looks like I'm ok with checkdrive anyway.  Below is the output
> from a CL run of cdrecord:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] terryg]$ cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=0,0,0 -dao -dummy
> -nofix /home/terryg/ISOs/Mandrake92-cd2-ext.i586.iso

     Drive is 12x so I'd burn isos's at 4x.

> Disk type:    unknown dye (reserved id code)
> Manuf. index: -1
> Manufacturer: unknown (not in table)
> Manufacturer is unknown because of the orange forum embargo.
> As the orange forum likes to get money for recent information,
> it may be that this media does not use illegal manufacturer
> coding. Trying to clear drive status.
> cdrecord: Drive needs to reload the media to return to proper
> status. cdrecord: WARNING: Data may not fit on standard 74min

    There's a lot here I don't think is good.  Media quality is
suspect to unusable.  Also so is capacity.  Your problem is
simple. You're tryin to burn 697 MB's to it.  That ain't never
gonna work. "No way, no how" is what cdrecord should'a said ;)

   Plextor's are about the most lenient for marginal media, but it
looks like your drive really hates this one. Seems I read a few
articles about 'illegal media coding' a year or so ago, but for
the life of me I've got CRS about it. I know there's been many
user complaints about fly by night media for years, that it won't
take the advertised MB's. More like no more than 600 on a
advertised as 650 blank. IIRC, that's mostly what the 'orange
forum embargo' was about. That and licensing, patent violations.
That's academic tho, you need a decent 700MB CDr.

 Come'on over an I'll give you a few ;>
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas