You are not assuming too much, I am running KDE.

My security level is standard.

I tried the terminal thing, no success.

When you say I should check permissions, what do you mean? What should
they be? Right now everything under /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver has:
-rwxr-xr-x

Anything else I should try?

Best regards
SÃren