Graham Watkins wrote:

Hi Y'all

I've been using XCDroast for burning music CDs for the last 3 years or so and found it a brilliant program to use. However, in the last couple of days it has been unable to read CDs, telling me that there is no CD in the drive. At first, I thought that maybe the CDRW hardware was f***d
and was on the verge of buying a new one (it's fairly old and slow) but I have still been able to burn CDs using Adaptec software under Windows (something I would prefer not to have to do).

The following is an excerpt from dmesg which may or may not be relevant:

sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive. (There is)
sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: disc change detected.
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.

I'm totally lost with this. The hardware, a Mitsumi CR-4802TE, is apparently sound under Windows and until a couple of days ago it did the business under MDK 9.2

Any ideas?

Cheers,

In the computer world it pays not to take the warning messages literally, always.

sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive,
My guess is that somehow your drive has become unhinged as a device to the system.

Did you run something by way of a configuration programme recently ?

anyway, in a terminal,

cat /etc/lilo.conf
cat /etc/fstab
cat /etc/modules.conf