Hi Y'all

I've been using XCDroast for burning music CDs for the last 3 years or so and found it a brilliant program to use. However, in the last couple of days it has been unable to read CDs, telling me that there is no CD in the drive. At first, I thought that maybe the CDRW hardware was f***d
and was on the verge of buying a new one (it's fairly old and slow) but I have still been able to burn CDs using Adaptec software under Windows (something I would prefer not to have to do).

The following is an excerpt from dmesg which may or may not be relevant:

sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.  (There is)
sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
sr0: CDROM not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: CDROM not ready yet.
sr0: disc change detected.
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.

I'm totally lost with this. The hardware, a Mitsumi CR-4802TE, is apparently sound under Windows and until a couple of days ago it did the business under MDK 9.2

Any ideas?

Cheers,

--
Graham Watkins

The notion that university is primarily about getting a qualification that will generate cash to enable you to pay back your fees and loans and spiralling debts is deeply insulting - but entirely consistent with the crass, stupid, book-blind, culture-hating government of a crass, stupid, culture-less, increasingly fractured society. (Stephen Moss Guardian 27/1/04)

Registered Linux user number 265254 http://counter.li.org