Ramin wrote:
Have you tried the followings:
1- delete the .xcdroast directory from your home directory and run xcdroast set-up again?
And if it does not help:
2- uninstall xcdroast and reinstall it.

Hello again, sorry for the delay in responding. I think I've sorted it. It would appear that a somewhat careless general update on my part left me with an alpha version incompatible with the (also updated) mkisofs and cdrecord. I can't explain exactly how it happened - possibly I incorporated some cooker sites in my urpmi setup - a definite mistake given my limited knowledge, skills and patience. I took off everything and got hold of the earlier versions using rpmfind. Had to do it this way as urpmi seems to be broken. Anyway XCDroast is now reading and writing CDs again. Hurrah!

John Richard Smith wrote:

Did you run something by way of a configuration programme recently ?

anyway, in a terminal,

cat /etc/lilo.conf
cat /etc/fstab
cat /etc/modules.conf
cdrecord -scanbus
and report.

It was the last command you listed that showed me I was then running an experimental version of cdrecord and this put me on the right track.

Thanks for the advice folks -- Graham Watkins

On the whole, I preferred cats to women because cats seldom if ever used the word "relationship".(Kinky Friedman - Greenwich Killing Time)

Registered Linux user number 265254 http://counter.li.org