-----Forwarded Message-----

From: Merlin Zener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Newbie - Mandrake Linux list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [newbie] unable to ping to/from my windoze box
Date: 03 Feb 2004 17:45:13 +0700

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 21:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> [...snip]
> > >
> I presume that 192.168.0.20 is your linux box?  That should be
> something like
> merlin.yourworkgroupname merlin

Hello good people, I'm trying this ***yet again***. . .

You may remember I couldn't edit /etc/hosts before with kedit; someone
suggested I try gedit - that didn't work either because it wasn't there.

Well now, after finally managing to stay connected long enough to
download it and the dependencies it still won't work.
Here's what I got, just now:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]# gedit /etc/hosts
Xlib: No protocol specified

(gedit:3156): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
[EMAIL PROTECTED] merlin]#

I don't understand why this is so hard.

First, I am running KDE as a desktop - I thought kedit was the KDE
editor? And gedit is the Gnome one? Do I have to be running Gnome for
gedit to work? [I don't see how it would make any difference - I'm
starting it from the text box anyhow...]

And what's so special about this hosts file that I need to edit it with
a special program? Isn't it just plain text? Or is there some other
issue - do I have to shut down the network first before editing that
file? [I don't know - I'm clutching at straws here...] If so, how do I
do it?

What I really need, is a clue...

--
Merlin Zener