On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 07:58, Steve Kaufman wrote:
> [...snip]
> As a newbie this command intrigued me so I played with it and the way to
> use it is 'kdesu kedit /etc/hosts' and it will then prompt you for root
> password and when you put it in it should open the file in edit and you
> can then save it.

yes, that worked - thanks Steve.
So now I'm back to the original problem. I was able to edit my
/etc/hosts file so it now reads:

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.10            laptop.workgroup laptop
192.168.0.20            cel2gthai.workgroup cel2gthai

But the problem is still the same as before:
If I set the NIC to "auto" in DrakeConnect it hangs on "bringing up
ETH0" when booting, and I can't ping to/from the laptop. If I set it to
192.168.0.20, then the machines can ping, but the internet doesn't work.
And I haven't even got to the stage of getting Samba sorted yet...

--
Merlin Zener
Piano, Synthesizer

registered Linux user number 328618