Hi Merlin,

I am not 100% certain on the syntax, but I had this happen once too.
If you log into X as a user and change to root, this effect can sometimes happen. To prevent that, you can run

xhost +

from the commandline before starting X (from runlevel 3, not sure where to put it when you use runlevel 5). That allows anyone to connect to the X server. In which lies a vulnerability, because that also can give outside folks access to your X server. But that is what has helped me run graphical utilities in X as root.

man xhost tells:
NAME
      xhost - server access control program for X

SYNOPSIS
      xhost [[+-]name ...]

DESCRIPTION
The xhost program is used to add and delete host names or user names to
the list allowed to make connections to the X server.

First, I am running KDE as a desktop - I thought kedit was the KDE
editor?

Yes.

And gedit is the Gnome one?

Yes

Do I have to be running Gnome for
gedit to work?

No, you only need the gnome libraries installed.

Good luck,
Paul
--

Windows: Where do you want to go today?
MacOS: Where do you want to be tomorrow?

http://www.nlpagan.net - Linux Mandrake - Thunderbird 0.5a/20031217