On Wednesday 04 Feb 2004 4:59 am, Guy Rouillier wrote:

> Robert, mind if I piggyback on this question?  I have a new AMD64
> laptop, and it came with XP Home (of course!)  I want to put XP-64
> as well as Mandrake 32-bit and 64-bit.  Can lilo or grub handle
> copying files before starting to boot Windows versions?  Here's the
> rub: all versions of Windows derived from NT have two critical
> startup files: ntldr and ntdetect.com.  These are incompatible
> between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, so I need the boot
> mechanism to copy in the right versions from backup directories
> before kicking off the boot process. System Commander does this,
> and I just learned the hard way that BootMagic (comes with
> Partition Magic) does *not* <grrrrrrrrrrrrr>. Seeing as I have to
> start all over, I thought I'd try doing it with grub.  Thanks.

Greg,

If I read your question right you want to quad boot your machine? That
is an interesting idea :-) Might be difficult to manage booting into
the 2 Windows partitions though. (Not sure really). I think you might
have to move this question to the expert mailing list if you get
stuck :-) It would be difficult for Lilo/Grub to see the windows
files you refer to as the Windows partitions wouldn't be mounted by
Linux at that point.

Robert