On Tuesday 03 February 2004 04:01 pm, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Tue Feb 3 2004 12:47 pm, David Reid wrote:
> > I'm preparing to install Mandrake 9.2 to dual boot with Windows XP on my
> > laptop. It's my first install and I've reduced the NTFS partition using
> > Partition Magic 8.0 to make 9Gb of the 20Gb disk available. Ideally, I'd
> > like to install LILO/GRUB on the MBR but I've read reports of non-windows
> > boot loaders being considered a virus (by XP or the BIOS or Virus
> > software I'm not sure which) and advice to retain the XP boot loader and
> > to place LILO/GRUB on the boot partition. Does anyone know if this is
> > still a consideration? I'd really appreciate it If someone could also
> > tell me whether it's easier/better to create the Linux partitions with
> > Partition Magic before starting the install or to leave the install
> > process to create them for me.
>
> I've been using Windows/XP, FreeDOS and various distro's of linux with lilo
> as the boot loader for quite a while. I haven't had any ill affects from
> having lilo in the MBR.
I will second that.. I wonder why you used partition magic. Mandrake 9.2
worked flawlessly to repartition and grab the free area from my Windows XP
NTFS partition. There was only one thing I had to do which was defrag the
drive to get the space open.
Anyway I have been running about 2 months now without problems..
Bruce