On 2/4/2004 at 10:21 PM Steve Kaufman wrote:

>I am trying to print to my d-link Router/printserver and
can't see to get
>it
>to work.
>
>I am running MD9.2 and using a D-Ling DI-713P the P means
that it is a
>router with a printer port. Under windows I just set up a
port and put in
>the router base address and print to it. No problem.
>
>I tried the CUPS setup and it goes all the way through. I
put in that it
>was
>an LPR printer and gave it the ip address but don't have a
quename to give
>it. I tried MCC add a printer but it can't see the printer
so it won't let
>me go farther. Also read a lot of man pages about lpr and
print and other
>stuff like that. Tried those things to no avail.
>
>If anyone can give me a hint on what to do I would
appreciate it. Have done
>the google think and don't seem to find anything. The
d-link sit was not
>much help either although I did fine one thing where it
said to put in the
>ip  address and lp so I'm not that lp was the que name ot
what. I have
>switched back to my doze system so I can't test that right
now. Will
>tomorrow so I thought I would just drop this out to you
helpfull people and
>see what other ideas people have.
>
>By the way the printer I have attached to it is a HP
Laserjet IIIP.

>TIA
>

>Steve
>Linux user number 344404

Steve; I had a look at the unit on D-LINK's web-site and it
doesn't seem to support any protocols other than Windows
printing, that means SMB is your friend. The problem is
that while it is accepting SMB connections, the print
server is NOT broadcasting it's existance. Your best bet
with this unit is to try the following;

1) Using the Windows software for the router, or the
web-based interface, log into the router and configure it
for your network. By the sounds of things that's already
been done since you're using the router in Windows for
printing.

2) Once you're logged into the router, go to each panel or
page of the Interface where there is a space to enter a
host name for the unit, and put in the following name
exactly as I have it here in brackets - ( dlink_printer ) -
don't include the brackets.

3) Make sure that the router has a static IP address - ie;
"192.168.0.1" and a subnet that matches your network setup
- ie; "255.255.255.0"

4) Boot your PC into Mandrake, and change to the root user.

5) In the "/etc" folder, find the file called "hosts", and
add the following line to the file - "192.168.0.1
dlink_printer" , making sure that you leave a space between
the IP address and the name of the router. Save and close
the file.

6) In Mandrake Control Center, go to the Hardware section,
then go to printers. Try setting up the printer using
Windows SMB and it should give you a line to put in
information about the location of the printer like this -
"smb://" - Note that you may only see this type of entry if
you are in expert or advanced mode. When you get this
option, enter the name "dlink_printer" without the quotes,
and make sure that it's exactly the way you typed it in the
"/etc/hosts" file.

7) At the next section, you should be asked about the
printer drivers for your printer so select the drivers for
your HP printer.

8) Do a test page.

9) If it doesn't work, it's because Mandrake still can't
see the router/printer-server, and chances are that it
never will.

There's no guarantee that it will work, but it's something
you might try though.

I had the exact same problem with another brand of "All in
One" router, but I checked it out before buying to make
sure it supported "LPD" or "CUPS". Once I found out what
was needed, it took 3 minutes to set up on each of 5
Mandrake Systems.

Good luck.

Lanman