On Wednesday 04 February 2004 10:21 pm, Steve Kaufman wrote:
> I am trying to print to my d-link Router/printserver and can't see to get
> it to work.
>
> I am running MD9.2 and using a D-Ling DI-713P the P means that it is a
> router with a printer port. Under windows I just set up a port and put in
> the router base address and print to it. No problem.
>
> I tried the CUPS setup and it goes all the way through. I put in that it
> was an LPR printer and gave it the ip address but don't have a quename to
> give it. I tried MCC add a printer but it can't see the printer so it won't
> let me go farther. Also read a lot of man pages about lpr and print and
> other stuff like that. Tried those things to no avail.
>
> If anyone can give me a hint on what to do I would appreciate it. Have done
> the google think and don't seem to find anything. The d-link sit was not
> much help either although I did fine one thing where it said to put in the
> ip  address and lp so I'm not that lp was the que name ot what. I have
> switched back to my doze system so I can't test that right now. Will
> tomorrow so I thought I would just drop this out to you helpfull people and
> see what other ideas people have.

You were right, lp is the queue name.  I had an old 704P and had it setup and
printing with an HP Deskjet printer.  Since then, I have changed printers and
routers so I don't use it anymore.  Concept is the same though, LPR printer,
IP address of the router and lp for queue name should work, if it doesn't
then I can try to help you troubleshoot it.

BTW, based on my experience, using the router as a print server is only useful
under windows.  Under windows, the computer that the printer is connected to
slows down when others are printing to it (Possibly higher resolutions
supported under windows or postscript drivers rather than pcl drivers).
Using a Linux machine for the print server, I never had that problem with a
shared printer.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer