Thursday 05 February 2004 2:58 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Terence Golightly wrote:
> > re-examining the man page to cdrecord and choosing the -ignsize option. I
> > burned, I see files, I happy!!!
> >
> >Cheers to all,
> >
> >Terry
>
> That's right , unless you specify differently cdrecord, as I understand
> it , assumes
> your media size is 650MB, but as long as you take care to insure that
> your media is large enough to receive all the data, using the -ignsize
> option allows your to override it.
> John

The first thing I would do with any older CD-R/RW is check the manufacturer's
site to find whether there's a firmware update available. That's the easy way
to ensure capability of larger capacity disks. ignsize can be dangerous
because it instructs the writing app to over burn. Often a very bad thing.

If you want to see what cdrecord does before it starts to write to a blank run
the following command with a blank in the drive:. Alter the dev= part to suit
your environment of course, not everyone's burner is dev=0,0,0:

cdrecord -atip dev=0,0,0

You'll get more than you want to know about the device, the media, the version
of cdrecord you're running, etc.. Thusly:

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
version.
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : '        '
Identifikation : '52X24X52 CD-RW  '
Revision       : '1.07'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 7
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11646 (97:26/54)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type:    Long strategy type (Cyanine, AZO or similar)
Manuf. index: 10
Manufacturer: Lead Data Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] nanook]$

I've assembled far too many boxes for people using recycled components such as
CD-RW drives to neglect a firmware update, and if the drive is old but has no
update available I always test with larger capacity media before I'll use it
or stick it into a new system. The price isn't high enough to justify it, the
A-Open shown above that's in this machine was only $39.95 Canadian. The DVD
+-R/+-RW (Sony) I installed yesterday was only $180.00 Canadian.

Both use any size blank you can buy. With the software built in for Mandrake
10 beta2.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 10.0 (Cooker) for i586 kernel 2.4.25-0.pre7.2mdk
Most people can do without the essentials, but not without the luxuries.