Alistair,
On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 03:21, Alastair Scott wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 03:11, Terence Golightly wrote:
>
> > I tried to use a 95 boot disk to run the firmware upgrade. I got the
> > same message to the effect that the archive won't execute in dos mode.
>
> In other words, the utility is expecting Windows itself - not just a
> boot disk created using Windows - to run :/

Appears so.

> This is becoming more common, and what happens next depends on the
> motherboard manufacturer; a trawl of its support site would be useful.

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on my plextor pw1210a.  Yeah that is
the next step.

> I use Asus which has always been very good; it provides a DOS updater
> (called AFLASH.EXE) and the BIOS image as a separate binary file. Put
> the two on any boot disk created from Windows, reboot and do AFLASH
> <binary filename> from the prompt.

> Your manufacturer might not be so accommodating, unfortunately.
>
> http://www.bootdisk.com/ is useful - perhaps "make a quick boot disk #1
> .. #4" might offer a solution?

That is where I got a caldera drdos bootdisk, which was the first one I
tried with drdflash.exe, then the win95 boot disk mentioned in previous
posts.

Thanks for your reply,

Terry
--
I used to have a signature, but I lost it.  My new one is:

IIRC CRS